Got the roots and tips mixed up. Thicker root, thinner tip for stall margins
and more efficient strength/weight distribution.

And most 'competitive' 2Ms would be closer to 8% than 10%.

Usually, greater thickness = more tolerance of a wider range of AOAs.
Thicker is bad down in HLG ranges. Thicker is always better from a
structural standpoint.

One of Airbus' greatest wins with the A330/A340 class was a successful
attempt to create an aerodynamically good section which was optimized for
deep thickness. This way, they were able to keep a high AR while maintaining
large volume for fuel while minimizing structure weight. Make it thick and
the shape does the work instead of the structure. Even an extra 2% in
thickness gives great benefits as far as more strength for a given weight.

I think my next go-around with glider design will try hard at optimizing for
a slightly higher root thickness. Not the easiest of tasks when hovering
below 50K Re's.

Derek

Back to the patio cover...