I would like to chime in about tip launching, conventional launching, and
discus launching.  For a bit of explanation on my terminology, tip launching
is done with a smallish span glider (unless you are really tall).  You
generally follow an underarm type motion, like pitching a softball.  You can
release the glider at arm parallel with horizon, or arm perpendicular
(pointed straight to the sky, or close to it).  The span has to be a bit
smaller else you would smack the opposite wing tip on the ground.
Conventional launching is your standard javelin overhand throw.  Discus
launching is what Dick previously described, you hold your ship by a wing
tip, spin 360 degrees around and use the momentum you have built up from
spinning to whip the glider airborne.

I have spent this entire last year tip launching.  I have put in a lot of
stick time on Chinooks (newest member of the Red Herring family) and
recently Ionospheres (future member of previously mentioned family).   When
you first start tip launching, there will be parts of your arm that will be
sore, this is true.  However, I don't feel you have any joint soreness.  I
originally had some soreness in the area from your thumb back to the top
part of the bend in your elbow and the bicep.  However, after several flying
sessions I no longer experience this soreness.  One thing that seems to help
my launches is taking a few running steps forward while completing the
underarm "swing".  I picked this idea up from watching women's softball on
ESPN.

All I can say is that a durable flying wing (Chinook)that can be thermaled
that you can easily fit 3 of them into an airline carry on bag is way cool.
It many not perform quite as well as the Ionospheres, but given it's price,
durability, and compactness, it is an economical way to learn tip launching.

Ryan Woebkenberg