At 10:33 PM 10/23/00 -0400, Tail Heavy wrote:
>      Let me try  to understand .
>    Incidence is the angle of attack of the  wing .

No..angle of attack is an flight condition that only matters when the plane
is flying.  It's the angle of the relative wind to the wing, and is
independent of the wing's angle to anything else.

 When I use my incidence
>meter to set a wings incidence I do this with  respect to the tail ( level on
>the horizonal stab )
>      Decalage is the difference in angle between  the Horizonal stab and
>wing . I saw the posted definition as angle between  the two major planes -
>wing and stab on monoplanes , wings on biplane yada  yada ..
>
>Still sounds like same thing .

The reason it sounds like the same thing is that usually, it is.  Usually
the angle of incidence of the stab as related to the fuselage is zero.
Therefore, the incidence between wing and fuse is the same as the decolage
between wing and the stab, and you can just be lazy and call incidence and
decolage the same thing, which we pretty much all do.

Brett