Walter,
While I haven't done exactly what you're describing,
in my latest HLG design efforts, I have had some success building planes
that are 'pre balanced', meaning that the weight of each component(tail boom
and surfaces, wing, pod, servo, rx, battery, etc.) is either calculated or
measured from a previous prototype, and I run a weight and balance during
the drawing phase of design, just as one would for a full scale aircraft,
with each component having a 'weight value' calculated from its weight times
the length of its moment arm as measured from a constant reference point. I
run this in a little spreadsheet, and the results have been great, meaning
that by tweaking the positions of various components, the intended balance
point turns out really really close. The only balance weight I ever add is
tiny and only to 'micro-tweak' for performance, or feel, or in order to
experiment with CG's other than the designed CG.

So, I'm shooting for a target and coming very close, which is nice, but I
like the idea of a variable wing mount. That is a pretty reasonable approach
if the rest of the design supports it, though it wouldn't be great for my
current designs, as the pod integrates into the wing too much to have more
than one position on it. So I elect to be fussy in advance to get a plane
that is only carrying what needs to be up there.

Interesting thoughts, hope these reflections add to the thinking.

Lift,
Scobie in Seattle.