At 11:34 AM 10/27/2000, Erica and/or Rob wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, James V. Bacus wrote:
> >
> > Other things about the Hobie setup, if you have a computer radio dial in
> > ALOT of exponential on the rudder and elevator, they are very sensitive
> > since they are both full flying surfaces.
>
>         you use expo on yours? hmmm. I never thought of that, I s'pose
>that would tame it a bit. I for one like how responsive it is, 'course I
>fly mine from a slope and it's nice to kick it around with the barest
>flick of the stick. But I guess that would just make it a handfull for
>flatlanding.
>I'm still new at this and I don't use expo much.

Man, I need some expo on the rudder for winch launch or I wouldn't be able
to make small corrections going up the line.  Ever see a Hobie up a
winch...   8-)

> > When you fly the model the fuse will look like the model is diving but
> it's
> > not, that's just the way the Hobie looks when you are flying it
> > right.  Look at the angle of how the wings are mounted to the fuse and
> that
> > should give you an idea.
>
>         Yeah, it always looks like it's diving it reminds me of the old
>poster of those two buzzards "paitence my ass, I'm gonna kill something"
>just mean-n-angry.
>
> > Fly it fast, don't float it.  8-)   It likes to haul ass.
>
>         It'll float? mine doesn't like floating, and hualing ass is an
>understatement mine is almost as fast as my friends saturn but it won't
>slow down like it.

When people tried to fly it at the speed which most models that were flown
of the day they tried to fly it slow, and it's not very forgiving or
efficient at that speed.  This is why a lot of people had problem flying
the Hawk.  It does have a wild way of turning with the curved wings almost
making it groove through corners, along with that full flying rudder.

Jim
Downers Grove, IL
Member of Chicago SOAR club
ICQ 6997780    R/C Soaring Page at http://www.mcs.net/~bacuslab/soaring.html