I have always wondered this and I bet all of you out there know the answer.
Okay here goes...

Considering a symmetrical airfoil:
Is a symmetrical airfoil used primarily for aerobatics/inverted flight?

If so doesn't the top of the wing create less pressure therefore helping to
create lift.  I realize that newton's 3rd law is also involved with a wing
producing lift.

So if the top of the wing creates less pressure due to the bernoulli effect
then when inverted the less pressure the top of the wing creates is working
against you right?

I assume this is compensated by increasing the angle of attack and newton's
3rd law then starts to play into maintaining altitude when inverted.

With a symmetrical wing the curve on top is almost the same as on the
bottom.  Therefore the upward force the top of the wing creates is almost
the same as the downward force that the bottom of the wing creates (upward
being greater).  The difference is the lift.  So why have a symmetrical
wing?  Why not have a wing with a flat bottom and a top that a little lift?
What I am getting at is, what does the symmetrical wing buy you
aerodynamically?

Thanks!!