> 1) Am I wasting my time getting a hand coping saw for cutting hot wire
templates using phelonic material

If you are making one-off prototypes, you can get good  results making
templates from heavy poster board (like on the back of notebooks, etc).
Plot out your airfoils and glue them to the poster board using 3M 77 or
stick glue.  Then you start cutting where the wire cut will end (TE usually)
with a pair of long, sharp scissors.  Keep the scissors pressed fwd all the
time, esp when opening them at the end of a snip.  The surface will be
adequately smooth, probably better than most home-built foam cutting systems
can acheive.  I use 1" nails and 3M contact glue to hold the profiles onto
the foam.  Works well and you can make up a wing's worth of demplates in 30
minutes--then throw them out.

Hope this helps...

Tony Rogers