John Erickson called my name.

It's true, you fly all winter or you get rusty, and when you do finally
get out for a session your muscles hurt later, at least if you fly HLG.

When do the thermals give up because of the cold, you may ask?

We do find thermals around here at any temperature, especially if the
sun is out and the humidity is relatively low (anything below 60%
provides great action). Lowest temp I know of anyone flying thermals is
-30 degrees F (about -35 degrees C), but there would no doubt be no low
temp limit for thermals. I've seen cumulus clouds at very cold temps. My
experience is that the thermals can be very strong at any temp.

The problem flying HLG is with the hand holding the TX, which gets the
least exercise. A big mitten with one of the chemical hand warmers
helps, but then the flap stick is harder to work at the same time the
other hand is working the right stick. Have to sew a TX mitten. Anyone
have a design for one or know one for sale? It has to make a quick
throwing hand entry possible while not losing all the heat every time
that hand is removed.

Right now I'm thinking about flying in Arizona in February. Thanks for
the call, John; hope to see you there!

Al

>We need to hear from our resident cold weather guru, Professor Al
Nephew of