Dennis Phelan wrote:

> Dudes,
> Are there really only 50 competitive fliers in the ESL? Does the
> website only list the top 50 fliers, top 17 sportsmen and top 33
> experts?
>
> If there are, I[not being an ESL member] would ask why someone would
> need more classes?
>
> =====
> Dennis Phelan

I think this is the point. There are about 45 to 50 core ESL flyers that
compete on a regular basis. There are others that compete, but are not
members of the ESL, and are not listed on the ESL site.

If you don't pay dues for the year then even if you compete in a ESL
contest you are not listed in the year end standings. You can still take
home a plaque at a contest, just not get in on the year end trophies.
Year end standings are made up of your six best scores for the year.
Scores are calculated as a percent of the winners score for that
contest.

There are not enough flyers to support many classes. In order to add
more classes you need to get more competitive flyers into the league.
There have been discussions on how to accomplish this.

 I know there are many sailplane flyers out there that enjoy flying but
don't compete. Many may not feel they are good enough or don't feel
confident enough to go out and compete. Some don't fly TD stuff. Some
just don't want to spend the time and money it takes to travel to
contests and compete.

Any good ideas from other clubs/leagues on how to attract more flyers
into competition? How do you get the guys out that love to fly but have
not been bitten by the 'competition bug'.

Later,
RB