Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help with AutoCad. I am still struggling but have a place
to start now. Here is the next 'challenge'.

I am trying to make vinyl decals using my ink jet printer. I know there are
supplies for making water slide decals with both clear and white base but
what I am looking for are vinyl based materials. I have two products. One
from Xerox which is a clear plastic which accepts ink and the other from
Avery which is actually a full sheet size (8 1/2" x 11") sticker.

I have used the Xerox product and had the follwing results. The material is
hard and not pliable. It is sold for making signs for glass doors etc. When
applying it over film covered open structures it doesn't like compound
curves. There are lots of tiny air bubbles and a few 'puckers' at the edges.
The adhesive is also very weak and I don't know if it will 'blow off' the
plane once it gets moving. Oh well its on now and when I get to flying I
will give a report. I think if applied over solid (fully sheeted or glassed)
structures it might be OK if the adhesive holds.

The other product I haven't tried yet. I don't know if the actual sticker is
plastic or coated paper although I suspect the latter. Again I think the
problems will be similar to the Xerox product. The benefit with this product
is the ability to go over colored backgrounds and still have a 'white' base.
This would allow white in the final design and more accurate colors.

A little while ago I looked up the Spar Cal site. This is a maker of sign
vinyl. I have used sign vinyl which has been cut by sign makers for
lettering and some firms here in North America do lettering, numbers and
graphics from this material for model use. The Stika vinyl cutters use this
material. At the time I thought they had a peel and apply product which was
compatable with ink jet printers. Since then they have been bought by the
Avery label company. The web site sucks and it appears that the products no
longer exsist.

So if anyone knows of a manufacturer of an ink jet compatable peel and apply
vinyl, which is available in clear or white base, goes over compound curves
please let me know.

As an aside I fly electrics so those of you on the jet list need to be
concerned with fuel compatability. I assume you could clear coat the final
product when applied to a plane although I doubt the ink jet ink would be
fuel proof. I know there are decals but it appears they are of limited size
(8 1/2" x 5 1/2" sheets) and very costly.

Thak you all for your input.

Stephen Madjanovich
Keswick, Ontario