Hi,

I have worked with Kevlar, and have used 1.5 oz Kevlar on my Micro HLGs.
There are several issues you must consider. There is very little difference
between Kevlar and FG when it comes to laying up the mold.  However, in the
mold preparation or perhaps the mold design, I offer 2 suggestions.  First
make sure you do not have tight bends the Kevlar must go over, and second,
if you can avoid having to cut the parts/seams of the kevlar, that would
help.  Kevlar although lighter and stronger is still quite flexible when
layed up.  I have found it to be softer, rather than rigid.  Kevlar will
soak up more resin, so you have to be very careful with how much resin you
use.  Once the resin is applied it is hard to soak it up.  You can lay
things up at a bias, but be careful with strength.  Both FG and Kevlar will
bubble or separate, and it turns out kevlar floats in resin as it is less
dense.

As for the feather cut, there may be many who might say there are other
methods, but for something you can purchase, it works very well, folds up
nice, cuts well.  The only thing I would recommend is to hang the bow rather
than use the wheel to hold the bow up.  This was originally tried when I saw
Del Bregman's cutter, and has worked well for all my cores.

As for the expense, well YES it is expensive.  If you are the designing type
then it makes trying things out easier.  If you add the cost of bagging etc
up, time, etc, CF, Kevlar, foam,  then just go out an buy the plane.  There
is no doubt here.  Just add up the feather cut, then the foam, then the
resin, then the bagging materials, then the pump, tubes, etc, then on top of
that add in the mistakes on the first set of wings, welll... you can run the
numbers.

However, when you are done you have your airplane, your fun, and your child
which you can become proud of.

If you are looking for molding techniques, try taking a look at my web site
links.

Have fun,

Chris Adams
http://www.scrollsander.com