Daniel Armstrong wrote:

>I am starting to design a new 3.6 metre model and want to use wipers on both
>ailerons and flaps, could some one with experience of wipers tell me how
>they are contructed and any special design considerations (what are they
>made from?)

I had a set of Emerald wings that didn't have wipers installed, so I
added some myself.  For the flap wipers, I used the curved spine of the
plastic ring binders you can find in office supply stores (cut off the
tabs).  For the aileron wipers, I cut 1/2" strips of thin mylar (overhead
slide material) and used double-sided tape to attach them to the aileron.

This works well for molded wings, but for foam-core, you either have to
go with the flat mylar wipers (fixed to the wing and floating over the
gap and control surface), or you will have to cut out a curved
indentation in the hinge for the knuckle wiper.

     -- tim