Paul Breed wrote:

> For a non soaring project I need to know:
>
> The coefficient of thermal expansion for carbon fiber,
> and the coefficient of thermal expansion for typical
> carbon fiber epoxy composite assemblies.

Like many fibers made out of linear, aligned polymers,
carbon fibers have a small, negative CTE along the fiber and
a positive CTE perpendicular to the fiber axis.  Kevlar is
the same way.  If you need specific numbers, I can provide
them tomorrow, my references are in my office.  As far as
the fabric goes, the CTE of the panel will depend totally on
how fibers are laid up in the various directions.  It is
possible, for instance, to make a carbon fiber-aluminum
metal matrix composite that has zero CTE by balancing the
forces and orientation of the fibers with the aluminum.

Bill
--
Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs love to stick
their heads

Bill Johns
Pullman, WA
..