Watching all of the threads about bagged, molded, wood planes was
interesting.  Just wanted to post about my experience finishing a wood wing.
I decided on a water based poly finish.  Having never done this before I
experimented first on one stab.  On the top I applied three coats poly only.
On the bottom I rubbed in talc and then applied the finish, after three
coats I notice absolutely no difference in finish between the top and bottom
surfaces- I am not going to waste my time w/ the talc on the rest of the
plane-  and yes I believe it is the pilot not necessarily the plane, be it
wooden, molded, or bagged that really makes the difference-

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary