This has been a good thread.

Here is what I need to do:  at our slope site we have to launch 14-26 ounce foamies
(many times Zagi wings) off the slope into 10-25 mph winds.  Trees down below generate
turbulence to 8-10' above the launch zone, so what we need is an upstart/bungee system
to pop the planes up to an altitude of 20-25' into the zone of lift.  From the lip of
the slope to the road is 60 feet, so that defines the maximum stretch of the
upstart/bungee.  Initial tests with a shortened Dynaflite 2m Upstart (3/16" surgical
latex) showed that it didn't have enough oomph to launch into a stiff wind. I'll try
to double the tubing for the next test.

The idea I'm toying with is 15' of tubing (stretched 3x to 45') with 15' of line for a
maximum stretch of 60' and an altitude of some 30'.  I'm guessing that 4-6 pounds of
pull would be adequate.

If I can't get the doubled upstart surgical tubing to give the required pull at the
required extension, I have some tubing from an NSP "standard" Pinnacle histart that I
can also try.  I don;t know if there is a minimum length of tubing that can be used,
but I don't think that 15' of tubing will be too short.

Am I on the right track here?

--Bill

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:50:30 -0400 Dick Williamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dave,

You said:

>Using a 50 ft piece of rubber and some nylon line (50 ft ?) to create an
>upstart (or mini-hi-start), what is the normal max stretch allowed.  I heard
>3 to 1.  Is that 100 ft of stretch making the final length of  the rubber
>150 ft or is the stretch itself 3 to 1 making the stretch 150 ft and the
>final length of the rubber 200'.

Perhaps the article:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/design/dickwilliamson_histartphysics.htm

might provide some insight concerning your question.

Also, Rich Hollyday's web site includes some data on force versus
distance for surgical tubing:

http://www.hollyday.com/rubberdata.htm

The tubing stretches rather benignly out to 3.5 times, i.e., a
100-foot piece of surgical tubing stretched by 350 feet out to a
total length of 450 feet.  I regularly stretch my high starts to at
least 3 times.

Regards,

Dick
Dr. Richard C. Williamson            Phone:  781-981-7857
Room C-317                           FAX:    781-981-0122
Lincoln Laboratory                   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02420-9108