Having been one of the Winch Masters at the last 10+ Nats or so, this is
a subject I am somewhat familiar with.  Some comments:

1.  The launching plane has no choice but to launch from the launch
equipment in its designated location; the plane in flight has the entire
sky to fly in.

2.  The launching plane has one less degree of freedom, since it is
hooked up to a towline which restricts its ability to avoid obstacles;
the plane in flight is entirely under the control of the pilot.

3.  The orderly management of a contest requires the ability to launch
as many planes as rapidly as SAFELY possible; at the NATS this means man
on man flight groups of 6 to 12.

4.  The only fair and unbiased method to get planes in the air is to
launch them on command of the winch master, not restricted by the
obstacle prevented by an inconsiderate pilot conciously flying in the
launch area.

5.  At the NATS pilots meeting, it is clearly announced that the launch
area is under control of the contest management.  We allow flight in the
area as long as no launching is taking place.  When an offending plane
is noted in the area just before or during a launch sequence, the pilot
is issued a warning to vacate the area immediately; if the warning is
not obeyed, the pilot's flight will be zeroed by the CD for that flight
round.  Repeated violaters are subject to disqualification.  In the
years we have had this policy in effect, we haven't had to zero or DQ
anyone, they realize we mean it.

The rulebook rule was instituted to provide some orderliness to a
potentially chaotic situation.  However, it only holds in sanctioned
competition.  Non competition situations must rely on common sense and
good judgement.  Unfortunately, there are some pilots that are clueless,
inconsiderate, or just plain stubborn.

Maybe the answer is one that has been in use in power flying for years.
Have a spotter.  We use them in contests, but call them timers.  Perhaps
in the chaotic situations like Visalia, Phoenix, and other large
gatherings where non-locals abound, having a spotter for launching and
landing is a good idea, can save a plane or two, and prevent hard
feelings.

Jim Thomas