Andrew is right. You can't close the spoilers by
pushing on a string. I close my spoilers with magnets
(available at Radio Shack). The whole setup is
somewhat heavy and old-fashioned but very easy to
build and absolutely foolproof to adjust. The spoilers
close exactly right every time with a satisfying
click, and nothing ever gets out of whack.