John raises some REALLY good points.  The Mantis realyl is an "older"
design, but one that truly set the stage for today's planes.  Yep, the
Mantis really was one of hte first "super light" planes.  At the time when
68-72 was considered normal for a 188in span plane, the Mantis came in at
58.  Yes there were other planes at that weight, but they were VERY frail.
At almost 5 years old now...it is doing rather well for a design I would
say!

But also John's comments have a lot to do with location.  Any plane can be
used by a winning pilot to win, that is a fact.  But looking at location has
a lot to do with how your planes are.  In SoCal you need a plane that
launches HARD, penetrates well, yet is fairly light for those calmer
mornings/evenings.  Of course "calm" is exactly what the east coasters get
on the BEST day!  Windy yes, but small tight thermals that are rather light
for their development.  A plane that has less to lift does better in the end
in light conditions.  Tom K has proven for years that his design does
perform great, though he is also one of those "winning pilots" that I was
talking about!

Anyway, the Mantis is a fine plane and fine design.  Not "optimal" but then
again I ahve heard the same thing said about hte Psyco lately :)  Things
change, plane design changes, yet what wins last year is normally just as
good as this year's...especially for 95% of the peopel out there...you
know...the ones without their name on a T-shirt :)  Personally I find that
the easiest way to get my name on a shirt is to get a cood caller, fly my
Mantis :), and oh yeah...pay someone to have my name embroidered on.

Jason Werner