Mark-
About 4 years ago I had the same thing done to my 783. It was done by Mike
Byrd at R/C service in San Diego who in my opinion is the best in this
country with JR. Fast turn around and very reasonable. I've done business
with Mike 11 years now.
I sent it in for it's normal check up and when it returned, There was a
little note telling that he activated the eighth channel, which made it the
same as my 388 and Model Data Transfer! What a surprise. I sent my 388 in and
had him activate the data transfer in it as well. I was able to transfer
models between the 2 radios.
Jeff Burg
Aurora, Colorado