Ok, I grant you that the Allegro has a good margin,
and that circling CL is, let's say, 0.7 - 0.8.

But I'm still wondering about, let's say, a Bird of
Time, which has a short tail moment and EDA < 10, or a
Grand Esprit which has a very low EDA -- and of course
there are others.

For these planes the quotient drops below 5, and
therefore the CL for spiral stability drops well below
the actual CL at which you fly. In such a case, what
can you conclude about the handling qualities of the
plane? And how do those qualities differ from those of
a plane that maintains spiral stability all the way up
to the maximum flyable CL? I guess that's the question
I meant to ask in the first place.

--- Mark Drela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The actual EDA (of the Allegro) is 12.1 degrees,
which is a comfy 23%