>If there is enough
>wind, say 18-20 MPH

    At 18-20 mph, its time for the slope.  You CAN thermal in it, but I've
found that much over 10 gets challenging and over 15 and my Spirit is better
left at home.  Besides, the lift gets spotty and hard to circle in.  But I
definitely agree about the height and zoom.  My 1/4" Hollyday rubber will do
a little of the same for  my Spirit at 10 -15 mph.  Heck, I have a foam
Corsair that is perfectly suited to a steep hill and 20 MPH, so I don't
jeopardize my balsa babies for an incredible zoom.

    Anyway, I've found (in my 2 meager years of soaring) that much over
350 -400 feet is just a longer roll out and roll in and doesn't
significantly heighten the launch of a plane with "properly" sized rubber.
Thick rubber with a light plane is probably another story, but you may well
benifit more from longer, lighter rubber for a light plane than the stronger
rubber.  The light plane may just "skid" throught the air from the harder
pull without gaining much altitude or speed.  Just a thought.  Empirical
data would be the ultimate test to this thought experiment.

Tom Koszuta