I haven't dropped the R60 in many years, so the yearly thing may not be
true.  But the midset of being mentally prepared to drop the bike (or to
have a mishap) every time you ride is good defensive riding, IMO.  It ain't
like a car where you simply hop in and go somewhere.

Truth is, I've not ridden my R60 since I moved to Jasper 10 years ago-- it
was "in storge" for 5 years, and I've been planning to get "tires and a
battery" for the last 5 years.  Finally did this year and when I get time to
put the tires on and check over the bike, I'll start riding again.
Cautiously, until I get my "sea legs" back, then I'll start making longer
trips.

--Bill