From: Mike Bailey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 10:44 PM
To: rcse
Cc: Mark Drela
Subject: [RCSE] efficent wings for pylon turns

Ok you aeronautical gurus. I have been playing with wing planforms lately
and now I want to discuss this with other people.

I am looking at a wings ability to retain speed/energy through a pylon turn.
Efficiency through a loop would be similar.

First I will start with flying wings. I have a new plane that has a strait
leading edge and a tapered trailing edge. The wing's CG is at about 13% of
mean cord and this may have some thing to do with the performance. This
plane has noticeably better turning efficiency than a swept back flying wing
(zagi). I have also flown a JW and the performance is the same.

For a conventional pylon racer I am wanting to do some more experimenting. I
have a one design racer with a strait trailing edge. I am going to build a
new wing with a strait leading edge and fly them back to back for
comparison.

Lately I have had a discussion with some people about the effect that a
square tip rather than rounded or elliptical tip has on how a plane turns.
Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

The point here is that I would like to better understand how the wing shape
not airfoil affects the drag in this high angle of attack situation.

Please comment,

Mike