When I was stationed in France in the late 50's, I accumulated 10 hours in
gliders.  They wouldn't let me solo because the glider field was in the
approach path of my USAF base and they figured if I wiped myself out, they'd
be shut down.  I loved the flying and vowed to take up sailplane flying later
in my life.

During my R/C sailplane career I investigated flying full-scale sailplane
piloting.  Too far, too expensive and I was having too much fun with R/C
sailplanes.  Eventually, I didn't miss the idea of full scale soaring at all.
 Recently, after a 20 year hiatus, the thermal I hit was just as magic as the
very first one in 1971!  If you can touch the magic, why not?

That said, my opinion is that R/C sailplane pilots make fine full-scale
pilots.  They know how airplanes fly, respect them and let's face it - we've
all crashed and know that things that fly can come down unexpectedly and
suddenly; many full-scale pilots refuse to acknowledge this!  I was told
recently that several of my generation of late 70's R/C flyers are now
nationally competitive in sailplanes.  I think one was Rick Walters and there
were a couple of the other guys whose names I can't recall.  Maybe a lister
will fill in some details.

Richard Shilling