Our club has sponsored an ARF-only class. The Spirit ARF is indeed a
good plane for beginners. If you can tolerate a 1-piece wing, you can
glue the joiner in and fiberglass the joint, which gives a pretty
strong wing. Once launched, it thermals well, is very hard to tip
stall, and generally is well-mannered.