Hi Ron, Mike, and all.

I have to agree with Ron that some of the best times are had when pilots get together.  I had not flown  HLG competitively since Dave Thornburg's HLG contest at SULA, in LA, however I have been an advid follower of the designs while having a family.  Last Decemeber when I mumbled as we drove past Poway and said Hey, this is where the IHLGF is held in June, my wife asked why I have not gone to compete?  My reply was it was on our Anniversary!.  Well, to make a long story even longer she said why not go this year.  So I went.  Guess I owe something big time!

I have to reply to all that you do not need to have the most advanced glider to do well, you need to know how to fly it and where to look for lift.  With apologies to Jerry Krainock, who took 6th, he would admit that he is not in the best of shape to go after the young guns, as well as the experienced.  Yet Jerry was flying a composite built up plane!.  Yes, It had ribs, and open framework, covering was plastic with alot of CF in spars etc..  The fuse was CF molded, however when you are in the company of people who do it all the time, CF work is not hard.  Tauil surfaces were the lightest and cheapest I have seen, yet strong and durable.

For me, I had to balance building planes with 2 other jobs, so my time was limited.  While not the best of planes, I build 2 composite ships, one with flaps, which had be eloquently described by Joe as having a great amount of flutter.  (BTW, both Joe and Gordon were brutal, yet funny with their comments to me!  :-) )  But my other ship flew better than any other HLG that I had made previuosly, and yet it was moderately competitive. (I didn't take last!)

The real issue is pilot practice.  With some people this may come more natural than others, but for others it is more work.  A built up ship may not have been able to compete in height, but it could compete in sink. I think of it this way, if you throw to say 120 ft, but have a sink rate of 1.5 ft/sec then your air time may be 80 seconds.  However, if your sink rate is 1.1 ft/min and you throw to 90 ft then your air time may 81 seconds.  I saw both schools of thought at the contest.  In the early AM the Raptors had to throw high to get times, yet others could throw lower to get the same times.  There was a balance of ranging for thermals versus not being able to get out of down air.

I have to agree with Ron, Knowing that this was my first time at an advanced contest in years, I went with the expectations of finding out what people were doing, and building techniques.  I took over 150 digital pictures toward this goal, and have alot of notes regarding how to build, mold, control the planes.  You do not need a gyro, as larger tail surfaces do control the wobble better.  However for the competitor, placing a gyro on the plane could yield an altitude gain of 10-15 ft.  For low throwers this gain is a high percentage.

I also looked at design failures.  These failures can be more attributed to pilot induced issues rather than design issues.  So I, with my designs, may have to design a plane for my issues rather than general all around issues.

Does weight make a difference, some may say yes, other no.  But what we are after is always a compromise.  I now my measurements will be looked at carfully.  Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to build a HLG  for next year starting now.  I know what I would not do again.  I would not go with just 2 planes.

As for the exchange comments that composites are expensive, they are not. Definitely not.  Dick Barker only mentioned a few items.  With vacuum bagging techniques you can build a wing easily in about 3 nights.  If you build more than one, you can overlap what you do.

As for costs, I try to keep the cost of goods down.  And so do the manmufacturers like Brian Buass.  He and others would not be able to offer you such great ships without being able to make them in a short time.  Labor is the expensive part not the materials.

Oh well, so much for raving.  I have started my CD and hopefully will have it done soon.  Eventually I will be putting some of it on my web site, but the resolution will nt abe as great as having the pictures on CD.  I hope to have a description of the contest and other trechnical stuff throughout, like control methods, shipping, launching techniques, etc.

Thanks Ron and TPG for a very enjoyable contest.

Thermals from a competitor on the 3rd page!

Chris Adams