Hi all,

I have a question about John Hazel's Excel spreadsheet that calculates AR,
area and "av/mx CL". What exactly is "av/mx CL"? I assume that it is average
CL divided by that max CL. If so, then the closer that number approaches 1,
then the more even the lift is distributed over the wing, correct? Or,
rather, the maximum lift generated on the wing at any point is no more than
the average for the wing(even lift distribution), right? Also, how (or can)
this be used to design planforms that maximize lift and minimize drag? If
thats the case, it seems TOO easy. I realize that a truly elliptical lift
distribution has its disadvantages, how important is it???

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tim Vandenheuvel