K, so here's the deal.  just a couple of weeks ago i got a wood lathe,
and thought to myself, the best way to try it out would be to make my
first 60" sloper plug, to experiment and try making my own fuses.  i had
to think of a way to make sure the thing was level so i made a little
jig,  it was a square piece of plastic to which i glued a protractor
upside down, and hung a string from the mid point.  then i glued on a
weight.  I laminated two (different colored, white/greenish) !" x 2" x
3' blocks together.  i don't know how well this drawing will turn out
but here goes.

bare with me.....
______________________A___________
|+                              +|
|P               *              P|
|                |               |
| R              S             R |
|  O             T            O  |
|   T            R           T   |
|    R           I          R    |
|      A         N        A      |
|         C      G      C        |
|             TOR|ROT            |
|                |               |
|               NUT              |
|________________________B_______|

A&B parallel

i put the block in, checked to make sure that on one side it was exactly
90 deg to the floor, then lathed it.  when done, i went to the same side
and put a .25" x .25" x 8".  i 'shimmied' it until my little gauge read
the right degree.  then filleted it, etc.

my question is...

  does anybody have a better, more precise way of setting your attack
angle on a round piece of wood?

Thanks

MIKE