I worry about the same thing, but FMA 6 meter receivers work fine as
far as I can tell. I don't think they have either an AGC or RF stage,
but I've never had any trouble and Tom Hoopes who has some fancy test
eqpt and the inclination to do the world a service has given them his
seal of approval. I sorta think/hope that JR and FMA will keep doing it
as long as the marginal cost is near zero and they serve a little
market niche.