Well Bill, you already know my response: what you refer to as option 2
is worth it becuz it is stronger, lighter, and easier to build. I've
done it both ways and I'll never go back to option 1. I'd be interested
in others' experiences and comments. The difference between Mark's spar
and mine is that mine is built externally and fitted into the wing; the
spar goes thru the ribs, whereas in his design the ribs go through the
spar. His would probably turn out marginally lighter. After accounting
for the difference in joiner systems, my 2-piece 2M Dark Star wing
weighs about 10% more than Mark's Allegro-lite wing. Both will take the
fullest-pedal zoom your nerves can stand.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/allegrolite2m/markdrela_allegrolite2m.htm