One of the more accepted hookups is to connect the output of the
variac to the input of a 24v or 40v transformer, of sufficient power
handling capacity, and then hook the hot wire to the output of the
transformer.  This way you get isolation and a fine vernier control
of the actual cutting voltage.

Bob

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:44:55 EDT
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: how to make variac safe?
>
>I've used a variac for cutting foam for a couple years, no problems, but I'm
>ALWAYS very careful and methodical. Still, is there a way to add something to
>it that would make it safer? Keeping it simple.

Robert P. Andris
12155 Terrence Ave.
Saratoga, CA 95070
USA