I mis-spoke; I checked the adverts and the wingrod material is listed as
"hardened".  Which means it's not soft, I guess.

I made up a bending jig and did some test bends.  I turned a pair of
"semi-circular" v-blocks to place the wingrod on, and made a small-radius
anvil to press with, and fit this to a hydraulic press.
Seems to work well enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Bill