Two questions:

If I am about an LSF level 1 in skill (can launch/land
the plane in one piece, have actually caught a thermal
or two), should I consider a DLG for a first
handlaunch?  I see DLG taking over and now I wonder if
I should get a discus or javelin style plane.  I am
looking at something like an Omega Poly or Sidewinder.
 Any suggestions?

If I do mount a gyro, any tips on how/where?  Wings
are pretty expensive. :-)

Thanks!