I had the chance to visit the NW HLG classic this last weekend.

I had to miss Saturday do to slope withdrawals and having to go to
Cape Blanco for a few days of R&R.

The 60 acres site in Seattle is about as good a HLG field as you will
find with real grass on the entire contest area and enough thermal
generating ground to keep the lift consistent.

Everyone was discus launching as you would expect at the birthplace
of the technique.  The contest was metered by the Torrey Pines Gulls
countdown CD which is THE tool for keeping things organized.  With
about 20 pilots left after Saturday the atmosphere was low stress but
smooth running.

I really went to Seattle to interview twister pioneers Phil Pearson
and Dick Barker.  They were kind enough to fill half a 60 minute tape
with priceless bits of information on the history of discus launch
and the evolution of the planes designed for this task.  Phil also
did a nice demo lesson on how to "Do the Disco".

You will have to wait for Endless Lift 3 later this year to see this footage!

What was nice to see was the equaling factor of the spin launch as
everyone was pretty much launching the same height, novice and expert
alike.  But of course the more experienced pilots were still taking
lift out better and were out flying the novices.  Even a 125 foot
launch can end quickly if you fly in sink for more than 10 seconds.

Most planes were either home brews or Encores, with some 50" planes
as well.  Of course the Uplink was popular too though the 60" planes
seemed to have a real advantage when there were fast moving thermals.
I flew a few 'Guest Appearance' rounds with my javelin launch  super
floater the -Zero G- and I think I unofficially won both......

The NW contest has the potential to be as good as Poway if enough
pilots could attend.
They have all the right ingredients.

Thanks to the SASS guys for the nice hospitality and lunch; they even
made take home a few raffle prizes.  A nice bunch of HLG fanatics all
of them

Paul

--
Paul Naton
president-Radio Carbon Art

Producers of High Quality R/C Silent Flight Videos
http://www.radiocarbonart.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 541-752-9661
Visa/Mastercard Accepted