I did an alert on the RCSE about the Sircam virus which I've now received no
less than 19 times at work - twice in Spanish.  Before I did the post, I
cheked out the virus warning at Carnegie Mellon (www.cert.org) and Symantec
(www.symantec.com) .  Nothing wrong with virus warnings, it's passing along
un-verified scares that's wrong.  Let's face it CNN is not a computer company
they're the dread media, although I'm not clear that CNN actually had
anything to do with the warning.

Please don't pass along un-verified virus warnings without checking them out
first, and include in your warning the URL on Carnegie-Mellon or Symantic (or
similar) that gives the full story.  Crying wolf is a bad thing, just ask
Little Red Riding Hood.

Richard Shilling