Fortunately I haven't had this happen to me. However, my wife used to work
to for UPS, part of her responsibilities included "damages" (boxes that are
damaged or suspected to have the contents damaged). With all the different
things that ship through UPS (which makes for some interesting stories and
good conversation at home!), there is no way to be an expert in all of them.
Anyways, my wife was required to open the "damages" and verify if infact the
contents were damaged, if not than they were repackaged (often in a new box)
and sent on its way. Had my wife received what you described, I KNOW (god
bless her though ;-)) that she wouldn't have known that it was damaged, and
probably repackaged itand sent it along. Just something to keep in mind.

Tim Vandenheuvel