Here's what I came up with. Let's say my two split
fingers are 1/4" apart 22" from my eyeball. I'll need
an angular 
measurement for that so the circumference around my
eye would be 2piR = 138.16". That divided by my 1/4"
finger
spread = 552.64. This must be converted to degrees so
552.64 / 360� = 1.535�.  This is the angular measure
from my eye to my outstretched fingers. Now the
formula I got from 
http://www.astro.lsa.umich.edu/users/emiller/astro125/geom/geom.html#smallangle
looks like this d = a / 360� x 2piR = aR / 57.3�.
In our case d = wingspan, a = angular measurement, and
R is the elusive distance to glider (altitude AGL if
the plane is 
directly above our heads). So, solving for R, if my
glider has a 100" span: 100" / 1.535� x 57.3 = 3732"
or 311 feet.
If I plug in your plane and antenna dia. of .34" and
distance from eye = 26"  we have 78" / 1.33 x 57.3 =
3360" or 280 feet.
I did these over and over and can't find fault. This,
however, does not mean I'm sure I'm right. I can't
find any text
with the formula you give. Can you point me in the
right direction?
Am I all screwed up here?
Thanks,
Pete
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, 18 September 2001, "Pete S." wrote:
> 
> > How do I solve for R?
> 
> Assuming you are asking how to make a cheap
> rangefinder for judging how far away a glider is:
> 
> Several convenient, no cost rangefinders are
> available to you now.
> 
> The basic principle involved is that a small opject
> held at arms length can visually cove a much larger
> object at a distance.
> 
> For example the Tx antenna diameter can be used as a
> distance gauge. There is some distance that allows
> you to just barely cover the wingspan of your glider
> with the diameter of the antenna. A "no math" way to
> do this is to have a buddy hold up the glider near a
> straight section of road. Then you just drive down
> the road a bit and see how far you need to go before
> the antenna diameter can just barely cover the
> wingspan. (hold out the Tx at arms length). You can
> do the same thing with other objects on the Tx such
> as the handle diameter. 
> 
> If you want to calculate the distances to get an
> idea of what kinds of range you will be working at
> you can do some small math as follows.
> 
> distance_to_glider = wingspan / antenna_diameter *
> eye_to_antenna_distance
> 
> The antenna diameter on my airtronics Tx is 0.34".
> The eye_to_antenna distance is 26". Wingspan is 78"
> 
> So when the antenna just barely covers the wingspan
> it is
> 
>  78 / 0.34 * 26 = 5965 inches which is 497 feet
> away.
> 
> Be advised that the eye_antenna distance changes
> with angle of veiw. Horizontally for me it's 26" and
> vertically it's 22".
> Also on my Tx the antenna button is also 0.34" and
> if I point the antenna directly at the ship the
> eye_to_antenna_button distance is about 72". The
> distance that the ship would be at when the antenna
> button just covers the wingspan would be 1376 feet. 


__________________________________________________
Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help?
Donate cash, emergency relief information
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/
RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and 
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to