At 06:31 PM 9/20/2001, James C Deck wrote:
>     OK, forum members, it's time to provide your opinions on the following
>question:
>What was the most significant development in R/C soaring this year and why?

OK, I should really follow the thread, I read this about an hour ago and
keep thinking about it.

>Was it:
>- The resurgence of cruciform tails.

That was sure an interesting trend this season, quite an effective one for
me and the flying I do.  My preference has changed from not really caring
about the tail much and ending up with a lot of molded Euro V tails to
caring and ending up with US made cruciform models.  Was it the the first
euro moldie to go cruciform, the Scar, the molded Psyko for being there all
the time, or the Icon for taking the cruciform moldie to a new level of
design, the new top of the food chain moldie.  I don't know, but they are
back again, and I like it.  BTW, another favorite of mine is the Schpot
Dorker LT, again, made in the USA.

Another trend this year was 6 servo wings, I almost bit as I had an Escape,
but I sold it before I built it to help finance my Icon.

>- The development of the sidearm launch.

This was a significant development, it completely changed the HLG contest
scene.  For me this meant putting HLG on the back burner this season as I
didn't have time to obtain and build a new quiver of DLG along side a
quiver of F3J models.  But I got to meet Denny, and I bet he has even
better things up his sleeve for next year.  8-)

>- The F3J stake issue.

The most significant development here is so far the USA has handled this
rule in the correct way in every contest I have attended.

>-  Breaking the $1000 barrier for a competitive molded sailplane.

Nothing new about this to me, that threshold was passed one or two seasons
ago...

>-  The popularity of RES.
>-  Dynamic Soaring.

Both were around last year, I am glad to see they are gaining
popularity.  I need to DS again.  8-)

Jim
Downers Grove, IL
Member of the Chicago SOAR club,  AMA 592537    LSF 7560 Level III
ICQ 6997780    R/C Soaring Page at www.jimbacus.net