I think it was James Deck who asked:

>      A young friend of mine, impressed by viewing some of my videos, has
>  decided to make a presentation on DS for extra credit in her high school
>  honors physics class.  I'm providing her with good footage from the videos
>  and she has gathered good background material for her talk.  She likes John
>  Roe's explanation (even the non-honors students can understand it) and is
>  almost ready but has one question that I couldn't answer.  She'd like to
>  tell her class the maximum velocity theoretically attainable by a sailplane
>  specifically designed for DS (she thinks the "tech-heads" would really like
>  that).  Can anyone give me some educated prognostications she can use?

I saved an earlier message on RCSE that may help answer her question.

Regards,

Dick

========================

> [...]
>which the air near the surface is moving considerably slower than the air at
>higher heights.  The wind "gradient" is the rate of change of wind speed with
>altitude.  The gradient is strongest near the surface and diminishes gradually
>with altitude.
>
>If the wind gradient is greater than the model's gradient an interesting
>phenomenon can occur.  While flying directly into the wind, the model can be
>pulled up.  As it gains altitude it looses speed, but this is compensated by
>the increased wind speed at the higher altitude, so the model continues to
>climb until the wind gradient is less than the model's gradient (minus a
>factor which is dependent on the model's sink rate).
>
>At this point, you can turn 180 degrees to straight down wind.  Now the
>airplane sinks due to its basic sink rate, but as it looses altitude the wind
>gradient causes it to increase airspeed!  This is neat!  This is an increase
>in energy which can be traded for a little altitude which in effect diminishes
>the sink rate of the plane.  When the plane gets close to the ground, you can
>turn around again and climb back up, and repeat the cycle.
>
>If you have a very strong gradient, or a very clean, fast plane you don't have
>to go directly up and down wind to get this to work.  You can climb and
>descend at an angle to wind so that you can move across the wind as well as
>down wind.
>
>I have seen gulls do this sawtooth cross wind pattern over the ocean on a
>strong day, as well as over large fields in England on a very strong day.
>No flapping, just a big zig-zag across the wind.  Minimum altitudes were
>something like five feet.  Max height was something like fifty feet, but my
>memory is not well calibrated here.
>
>Note that this effect works best for low sink rate, very fast airplanes.
>Perhaps this explains some of the differences between sea birds and land
>thermal soarers.  Sea birds tend to have high wing loadings and aspect ratios.
>  Hawks and eagles tend to have much lower aspect ratios and lighter wing
>

>It is somewhat difficult to exploit this phenomenon with an R/C sailplane
>since winds which generate sufficient gradients are likely to be considered
>too strong to fly in.  Also, it may be difficult to dynamic soar from a fixed
>location!
>
>We do see some gradient effects with our models.  For instance, when landing
>in strong wind (heading upwind) a much greater sinkrate near the ground can be
>noticed.  Also, when landing downwind in even a medium breeze, the plane seems
>to come down much more slowly - this is a gradient effect.
>
>That's all for now.
>
>Blaine Beron-Rawdon
>Envision Design
>Rancho Palos Verdes, California
>

>RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send
>"subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dr. Richard C. Williamson            Phone:  781-981-7857
Room C-317                           FAX:    781-981-0122
Lincoln Laboratory                   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02420-9108