I had a wonderful time at the contest in Tullahoma Saturday. I ended up 
flying my venerable Oly 99; I had good flight times and so-so landings.  Met 
some new folks, enjoyed flying with my old friends.

I flew the Oly because I discombobulated my brandy-new BoT on it's first 
flight of the contest.  :(  Beautiful launch, but once she got off the line, 
she went into a nose-down right spiral that I couldn't recover from.  
Minimal damage, really: split the fuse aft of the wing, broke the wing-bolt 
mounting blocks loose and broke the right wing near the tip and the left 
wing at the polyhedral joint.  Fixable.

Fooey. Couldn't imagine why this happened: everything was checked and 
double-checked prior to the contest and things were perfect.  I figured this 
was a combo of "stuff happens" and "dumb thumbs".

On the drive back (3 hours, plenty of time to cogitate), I got to thinking 
about the damage to the wings.  Both wings did have impact damage to the LE 
from a forward direction where they hit a bush and the ground.  However, 
that left wing also shows breakage of the poly joint, the direction force 
seems to be from the bottom.

Ah ha.  I suspect that she went into that unrecoverable spiral because of 
failure of the poly joint on the left wing.  As you may recall, I went to 
great lengths of strengthen the wing spar on this BoT.  CF laminate added to 
the spar caps, end grain balsa shear webs, Kevlar tow wrap, and so on.  This 
was my first strong wing, built with info I gleaned on RCSE.

However, since this was a learning experience spead out over several months, 
I did incorporate one "achilles heel": I enclosed it the 1/8" ply poly 
joiner in vertical-grain balsa shear webs,  making sure that the spar at 
that joint was strong and well-glued.  The inner-panel side of the poly 
joint is Kevlar-wrapped, but I didn't wrap the outer-panel side of the poly 
joint since that would have involved cutting into the lower D-tube sheeting 
on that panel. I actually thought of potential problems with those ply 
joiners as I was gluing the wing tips on and finishing the wing, but since I 
had a series of "maybe I ought to..." delays, I decided that the stock, 
unwrapped outer joint would be "good enough".

It wasn't.  The poly joint on that wing failed by pulling the sparcaps from 
the full-width vertical grain balsa shear webs. The glue joints were good: 
the balsa web pulled apart.  Had they been Kevlar-wrapped, I suspect that 
they would not have failed.  Do correct me if my thinking errs.

What to do?  Repair the poly joint and take the time to wrap both outer poly 
joints in Kevlar tow.  I'm even considering a layer or two 2-oz glas cloth 
on the bias under the Kevlar, but this may be an extreme over-reaction to 
toasting a plane.

Since this was my first "strong wing", I was being careful and was launching 
it just a little stronger with each launch.  This was a stronger launch on 
an unfamiliar winch and I may well have gotten a bit frisky on the ole 
pedal.

Oh well.  Goes to show, you can take care of 99.9% of the details, but it's 
that .001% that'll bite you.

When I had earlier reservations about using the ply poly joiners, I also 
thought about using .125" CF laminate plate in place of the 1/8" ply.  I may 
use the CF plate on the next phase "KillerBoT" wing, but I think that the 
ply will work for this wing.  Opinions also welcome, since this is the time 
to fix that.

All in all, enjoyed the event, and glad I figured out "why?".  :)

--Bill

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and 
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to