Thanks to both Blaine and Mark for help on this topic. It is greatly
appreciated. If you would not mind, I would like to impose on you for some
follow up questions.

The DLG that we have been experimenting with has Vv = 0.048 which is in the
ball park of what Bill Watson has found to be successful. We have found that
Vv in this area seems to damp as well as a gyro though I don't know how to
know for sure. I would think there must be a way to calculate the point
where the Damping_From_Large_Vv = (Damping_Increase_From_Gyro)*
Damping_From_Smaller_Vv = Perfectly_Damped_Launch.  I don't know if this is
the way to say it but maybe it gets the question across. This could be hard
to do. As a practical matter, it may just be worth it to go with big Vv and
simply throw the gyro in on top to make sure you have the least drag
possible due to tail oscillation on launch.

Blaine writes:

"I agree with Mark that a balance between too much tip dihedral and too much
root dihedral (that is, beyond elliptical to V-dihedral) is good.  A
dihedral scheme in which the dihedral angle of each panel is roughly
proportional to the distance of the panel MAC from the aircraft centerline
gives a good starting point.  My current thinking is to bias this slightly
towards V-dihedral."

Our various flight tests seem to confirm this. Maybe also Mark's. The best
wing that we tested had more  V-dihedral than the others. So far it seems
that with a big rudder on can roll into the turn well and that you need more
V-dihedral to easily stay in the turn. Looks like the razor saw might have
to be applied again to test some V vs tip dihedrals. At least at my level of
pilot skill. For HL it may be the case that more V-dihedral bias is in order
since one has to turn tight in small and often light bubbles where falling
out even once means you don't get a second chance. Does this make sense?
Also, I am not clear on how to calculate your dihedral scheme starting
point. Would you consider providing a sample calculation?

Blaine writes:

"The spiral stability equation that Mark describes works.  It is sensitive
wing lift coefficient.  If you have a high Cl airfoil, you need more
dihedral to be spirally stable.  Most modern airfoils thermal best someplace
near 0.7 Cl, but small handlaunches might be as low as 0.5.  Consider this
in the equation!"

Ok. This brings up another question that I have been struggling with. That
is to try to determine at what cl and V that the HL is actually flying at
when doing different things. What I have done to try to figure this our may
not be at all the best way. I took xfoil output at re*strt(cl) = 57k. I then
took the polar output and determined L/D max from the data. In this case cl
at L/D max = .61. Since one thermals at higher cl you know that cl >= .61.
Think that I should try to figure out cl at min sink as the best indication
of a thermaling cl? Seem like cl could even be more than that when climbing
in a thermal. Anyway, it seems pretty straight forward to determine cl for a
given hl plane at different velocities, but knowing the velocity or cl at
which different maneuvers occur seems difficult. What am I missing?

Lastly on the topic of boom length, I am having a hard time making the
empirically observed behavior fit with the way things should work. We have
two identical fuses and tail groups except one has a 2" longer boom length.
The shorter one turns better and tighter using all of the test wings at
differnent EDAs. So, I am trying to figure out what could be going on
because it does not make sense given the previous comments on this topic.
Could it be that since yaw inertia increases by the square of the boom
length and damping is linear with the boom length that the reduced yaw
inertia is more favorable than the increased damping??

Help greatly appreciated.

Tom