In a message dated 10/4/01You wrote:

<<The reason I haven't is because spars intimidate me (and because I had
hoped to buy an open class plane.) I have seen the spar construction on the>>

John,

    The simplest method is to use a pair of 3/8 inch ID CF tubes for the
spar.  If you are using fiberglass for the skin, a 30 inch spar will give
good support.  If you are using wood or CF for the skin a 20 inch spar will
work.  If the wing is a two piece, an aluminum joiner rod 10-12 inches long
will work well and will not break.  I have one built this way (built by Fred
Sage) and it will take a full pedal launch.

    Check my web site (hilaunch.com) for tube and rod prices.

Don Richmond
San Diego, CA
hilaunch.com