A comment from the scale sailplane arena:
A flat turn as opposed to a steeply banked turn simply put, keeps a larger
"footprint" or projected wing area pointed at the lift which we all know is
going up. If your in a large area of strong lift it doesn't matter much
either way.
I always use the shallowest bank angle in a thermal turn that will allow me
to stay centered in the lift, there by exposing the largest possible area of
the wing to the rising air. This is called efficiency. A corollary I learned
from Karl Striedeck (full scale guru for those not familiar) also states:
always fly in the best air you can, even if it means straying off course on
a dash to the gate at the end of a contest.

Anyway, Full scale ships do indeed cross control, but not all with rudder or
all with aileron. It depends on the ship. Many standard class (15 meter
ships) will correct with rudder. Larger unlimited ships like the Nimbus
four, have tiplets coupled with the rudder to manage cross controlling on a
ship with an extremely high aspect ratio wing. In scale model flying, you
have to cross control with ailerons when you are flying a high aspect ratio
ship if you expect to control your roll rate in a turn. A very few scale
models have tiplets which allow programmed cross controlling.

By the way, myself and a few others are refining a six (or more) servo wing
set up for the new generation of scale ships. These come equipped with full
span flap and aileron combinations. There are mixes required that are very
similar to what is now being used in thermal duration, the exception is that
spoilers are also a function included with scale ships. What we are doing is
putting spoilers on the throttle stick( a scale standard practice), and
using the three position flap landing switch butterfly switch, not for Crow
However), and a slider for a trimmer & snap flap function for getting out of
a tight spot.
The only domestic radio that I found suitable so far is the JR 10X. (it has
two sliders) I assume the Futaba 9ZAP may work also. If you have a Multiplex
4000, or Graupner MC-24, you have got it made. With a scale ship, we start
to run out of holes to plug in servos. We need those 12 channel rx's

John Derstine

P.S. Mike Lachowski has a great reference article on setting up the 10x for
6 or 8 servo wing on the ESL website suitable for TD ships. It is on the
root directory of that site. Sorry if this has been referenced previously.

 Endless Mountain Models
note new email address
E-mail; [EMAIL PROTECTED]