At 09:09 PM 11/10/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I do not know who wrote this, but, if you feel that RES ships can compete
>with Unlimited ships of today, I would reference to Bill Friend.  Bill beat
>his head against the wall for two years trying and really had nothing to
>show for it and all it did was mess up his full house skills to the point
>that he is out of the hobby and building an ultralight.  Bill was nearly a
>level five and a very knowledgable pilot, but there is no way RES can
>compete in the long haul with the ships of today.  If you go with the slick
>airfoil, you do not thermal, you get a great thermal airfoil you do not
>penetrate, both cases relative to the full span camber changing wing.  I
>love the RES/NOS contests, and I fly an ancient one with nothing special,
>but those days are past.  Even on the day that the air is great, the odds of
>an RES ship beating the Unlimited ship even in the circle landing task is
>slim, JMHO.
>
>Marc

Oh I don't know.  I have been flying RES in Unlimited contests almost
exclusively for the last 5 years and I feel that I could have done little
better with a full house ship.  The modern full house ship has evolved into
a model where stability and visibility have been compromised to maximize
performance. Unless you have excellent eyes and good reflexes, then most
flyers would score better with a more stable model even though performance
might suffer a little.  I have beaten a lot of Unlimited full house ships
with my RES model over the last 5 years.  Haven't won any Unlimited
contests lately but that's not the reason I go to contests.  The reason I
go to contests is to have fun.  When it stops being fun, I will find a new
hobby.  So far, I've been having fun for over 50 years.

He who thinks that second place is the first loser has already lost a
wonderful hobby and gained an obsession.  :-)

Chuck Anderson