Monkey King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  posted, "Actually, I started with
bamboo. Advanced materials do not equal an advanced modeler; you have to
start where you understand. Learning about wood vs. bamboo, built up vs.
solid wings, etc. gives you a real understanding of what you want out of a
material."

I grew up in Japan, but I was already into modeling.  I had been an
unsuccessful builder of a number  of Cleveland and Comet kits until
Strut-To-Speed came along--one of my young adult pleasures was to bring a
kid across from my college campus past the same disappointment to being a
successful builder.  We put a Cox .10 on the front of something he got
together and we flew it out of sight.

Growing up in Japan, bamboo was a prime material and I learned so much from
the simple models we would build--one stick for a fuse and the rest bamboo,
covering tissue a propeller, a rubber motor . . . one summer as my boys
were coming along I gathered the left overs from fireworks--a stick some
bamboo, took some tissue, a propeller and rubber for a motor . . . It flew
great and I still have the little guy hanging in my ceiling as a
remembrance of my boys.

Time to time, I wonder, why not bamboo :-) !?  Why NOT!!??  And I turn to
the bamboo!

Paul Clark, SKY PILOT ONE, Osaka, Japan    (AMA # 53 777 1)
http://www.kcat.zaq.ne.jp/skypilot/
SKY PILOT'S HANGAR--RCHLG AFICIONADO