>>the consistent factor is the condition upwind.

Bingo. I concur. I like slopes to have a clear area infront that it is at
least 3 times the height of the slope. With MORE being substantially better.

Coastal slopes are so often good because the area in front of them is
unobstructed and has a nearly constant surface temperature.

We have to remember that there are many variables interacting in complicated
ways. We're talking about the fluid dynamics of a compressible fluid (air).
This is further complicated by the fact that we're standing on the surface
of the flow's border. When I was in school the things that scared me the
most were Antenna Theory and Fluids. I still consider them FM (********
magic). Luckily EE's didn't have to worry about fluids.

The bottomline of slope evaluation is to fly it.

Bill Swingle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Janesville, CA