In a message dated 11/27/01 10:15:14 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< One other thing to be careful of is the difference between stiffness and
stiffness-to-weight. The stiffness of most carbon fiber-epoxy per square
inch of material is nowhere near as high as that of steel. A 1/8" diameter
carbon rod, even with the fibers oriented for torsion, would be torsionally
much less stiff than a 1/8" steel rod.

However, the stiffness-to-weight ratio of the carbon is much higher than
steel. If you replaced a 1/8" diameter steel rod with a
torsionally-oriented carbon fiber rod of the same WEIGHT, the carbon fiber
rod would be stiffer. However, it would also be more than twice as big in
diameter. Whether you could get an improvement from that approach would
depend on whether you had enough room for the fatter rod. At that point you
might also want to consider a steel tube.

For stiffness-critical structures, if space is the limiting factor, its
usually best to go with the stiffest material available. If weight is the
criteria and space is not a constraint, the best choice is probably the
material with the best stiffness-to-weight ratio. For RADS, where the
thickness available for the pocket in the control surface is usually the
limiting factor (at least in most of our applications), steel is therefore
probably the best choice.

Don Stackhouse @ DJ Aerotech >>

Don,
Thanks for your extensive examination of the heat treated drive shaft issue.
I think that we have arrived at the same conclusion (hardened tool steel rods
are the best choice for the RDS application) with very different approaches.
I'm just a machinist, occasionally a blacksmith,  and not an engineer. My
problem with the tubing approach was the same one you pointed out though. It
would have to be a larger tube than most wings could accomidate in order to
be strong enough to do the job. I know that Mike Garton is doing some tests
on servos and RDS that might contribute some data for this discussion. He
told me that the results would be in his February Model Aviation, soaring
column.
Regards,
Walt Dimick
I. R. F. Machine Works, Inc.