Get one of those Higley trimming tools.  Seems expensive, but
worth it.  It looks like a small block plane with slots in
the sole and a razor blade screwed to the top.  You run it along
an edge with the excess covering in one of the slots, and the
blade trims the covering at a constant distance from the edge,
about 1/8".  When the remainder is ironed down you get a very
clean seam.

One thing I've noticed about monokote is that the colors are not
all equal in terms of ease of use.  I use transparents, and the
yellow just seems to go on easier.  Trans red seems more difficult.

Also, the yellow doesn't show seams, whereas transparent orange
produces a darker strip along the overlap.  Of course, not an
issue with opaques.  Black shows your mistakes.  White can show
dirt along the seams, especially if you iron a white seam with
a dirty hotsock.

You can dope over it, allowing you to dope the noseblock with
a small overlap over the fuselage monocote.  This way you'll
avoid the nearly inevitable problem of wrinkles on a shaped
noseblock.  You can get dope to match.  Doing it the other way,
with monocote overlapping a doped section, doesn't work very well.
Dope melts.

I recently tried using regular monocote with two different brands
of trim solvent.  I'm disappointed with the results.  I had been
under the impression that it makes it easier to avoid bubbles, etc.
Not so.  I wish I'd used the sticky backed "trim sheet" material,
or sign vinyl with windex or soapy water and squeegee.  BTW, the solvents
are just paint thinner or laquer thinner.  Duh.

However, my mistake with the trim led me to discover that you can
sand monocote.  I had a small but nasty wrinkle/bubble combo in the trim
layer, right on the wing leading edge.  Slicing it off with a razor still
left some irregularities that would have telegraphed through a patch.  I had
a rubber sanding block with 320 wet/dry paper laying there, so I tried it.
Worked great - really cut cleanly.  In fact, it feathered the edge of the
monocote.  The patch should look fine.

Tack cloth and/or vacuum before covering.  Even fine dust will telegraph
through.  Which reminds me... monocote won't hide a poor
sanding job.

Have fun.