Hello All,
    If you live in the Portland/Vancouver area, and need a vacuum pump,
check out Wacky Willy's Surplus in downtown Portland (industrial district).
I was there Monday and saw a whole palette with a bunch of vacuum pumps.
They are being sold for $45 and are said to be able to pull 29" of mercury.
A good deal in my opinion.  They have a liquid material pickup jar to
prevent foreign objects from fouling up the pump.  They are in a nice black
casing with a sturdy handle as well as a timer switch.  Unfortunately they
don't have any vacuum switches.
    Worth a look.

Here is their website for directions:

http://www.wackywillys.com/

Erik Alber
Portland Area Soaring Society  Vice President
"The Resin Head"
http://NuanceHLG.8k.com

PS:
If you're outside of this area and really want one, you might try asking
them to ship it to you, but that could get expensive.