Not to fan the Great Duckie Debate, but I agree with Jason.  If a short or
baseloaded antenna is type-certified by the manufacturer for that Tx, then
it's useable.  If not, then don't.  Likewise,  you _can_ get by with
changing the Tx xtal to change channels or you can drive without wearing a
seatbelt but that doesn't meant that it's good practice or it's prudent.

--Bill